Monday, August 17, 2009

I'm tired of being in quarantine!

Hey guys. It is Tex here. Did you know I've been stuck in a stall every since I got to Jennifer's place? I don't mean to complain because I am loving my three meals. But being in a stall is BORING. I'm a horse, I'm made to run out on the plains! Ok, I know if I was running out on the plains something would eat me right now since I'm still weak. But this stall thing is boring.


I hope you aren't thinking Jennifer is a big meanie. I mean, I thought that, too, at first. Then she explained to me that I'm in a stall because I'm in quarantine. I didn't know what quarantine is, so it is my new word for the day! Quarantine - that's a big word. And it means I'm kept separate from the other horses for a few weeks.


Since I'm in bad shape and Jennifer doesn't really know my history, she worried that I might be ill. She doesn't want the other horses to get sick (and they told me that they don't want to be sick and stuck in stalls all the time, too!). So she has to keep me separate from everyone for two weeks. Then if I stay healthy, I can start going out.


So I'm in a little barn thing with two stalls. The stall next to me is empty, but I can see the other horses in the pasture. Sometimes they call over to me and tell me about themselves, about Jennifer and about the Bluebonnet Family. That's pretty cool. It is shady and I get to avoid the hot sun, and Jennifer brings me my three meals a day. Do you know I'm the only horse who gets three meals? Everyone else only gets two! I tried bragging about my extra meal but Judge told me he would kick my butt when I finally got out in pasture if I didn't knock it off. Those young guys can be such bullies!


Jennifer said that once quarantine is over, I can't just go out on grass all the time. Since my system isn't used to grass, I have to start slowly. First she'll lead me out in an area that the other horses don't go in and walk me around and let me eat for 10 or 15 minutes. Then over time, she'll slowly increase the amount of time I get to eat.


To help me start getting ready, she's given me a few handfuls of grass. And I forgot how awesome grass tasted. Oh yum... I'm drooling just thinking about it. You should try a bite. Really. Its better than sweet feed!


Well, I guess I better sign off for the night. I just wanted to let you know about this quarantine thing. I just have a few more days and then quarantine will be over! And I can meet the other horses up close. I can't wait!


Dreaming of grass,


Tex from Bluebonnet

No comments:

Post a Comment